Untitled design
Silvia García Hurtado

Silvia García Hurtado


This is a certificate provided by a local Ayuntamiento when someone living in a municipality signs onto the local register of residents, the “Padrón”. This is a kind of equivalent to the UK’s electoral register, compiled council by council, but unlike the UK does not convey a right to vote: for that, local residents also have to ask the council to put their name on the “census” as well as the padrón (note that we can only vote in local elections here).

Register on the padrón
If you are resident in Spain for more than three months, you must also register yourself on the Padrón, 

How you register
You register for the Padrón at the local town hall by filling in the form they provide.

You do not need to own a property – you can register on the Padrón if you are renting or live with others, however you will need a rental contract or, if you are staying with friends or family, the home owner or person named on the rental contract will need to sign the form.

As many bureaucratic processes in Spain require you to present a Certificado de Empadronamiento it’s vital to register as soon as possible.

Share this post