Category: paperwork

Useful Trafico Information

The DGT – Dirección General de Tráfico, also known by most as simply Trafico has a website with lots of useful information on all things road safety. Plus information on registration, transfers and de-registration of vehicles and obtaining and renewing the license.

For many people renewing or obtaining your Spanish driving licence means undergoing a medical examination and so often people turn to social media to find an approved medical centre in Lanzarote.

The DGT website has a full list of all the authorised medical centres which you can find by clicking here – The information for Lanzarote is on page 169. However to make it easy for you I’ve included the information below. and in a useful image.

Empresa:CRC AJEI
Dirección:C/ Carnicería, nº 4. C.P: 35500
Teléfono:928 811 664
Dirección:Carretera Mármoles, nº 4. C.P: 35500
Teléfono:928 806 298
Dirección:C/ Triana, nº 31
Teléfono:928 813 190
Dirección:C/ Dr. Juan Negrín, nº 58. C.P: 35500
Teléfono:828 910 720


Untitled design
Silvia García Hurtado

Silvia García Hurtado


This is a certificate provided by a local Ayuntamiento when someone living in a municipality signs onto the local register of residents, the “Padrón”. This is a kind of equivalent to the UK’s electoral register, compiled council by council, but unlike the UK does not convey a right to vote: for that, local residents also have to ask the council to put their name on the “census” as well as the padrón (note that we can only vote in local elections here).

Register on the padrón
If you are resident in Spain for more than three months, you must also register yourself on the Padrón, 

How you register
You register for the Padrón at the local town hall by filling in the form they provide.

You do not need to own a property – you can register on the Padrón if you are renting or live with others, however you will need a rental contract or, if you are staying with friends or family, the home owner or person named on the rental contract will need to sign the form.

As many bureaucratic processes in Spain require you to present a Certificado de Empadronamiento it’s vital to register as soon as possible.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email

Certificado de Registro – EU Citizens only



To provide you with the correct information in a clear understandable way

Certificado de Registro – EU Citizens only

Or Residencia as you probably know it

As an EU citizen without a Residencia you are not legally entitled to stay in Spain more than 90 days. It is the document certifying the registration in the Central Register of Foreigners of citizens of a Member State of the European Union or of another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area who will reside in Spain for a period of more than three months.

This is a document printed on green paper (used to be A4 size but is now credit-card sized) which is known by a range of names, including green certificate, green card, green NIE, residencia. It is, though, a registration certificate properly called a Certificado de Registro which is provided by the police to residents who comply with the legal requirement of registering with the police as a foreigner living in Spain. THE CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO IS THE ONLY THING THAT PROVES LEGAL RESIDENCE.

You must apply within the 3 months after arrival.

Applying for Residencia does not lose you any of your rights as a British Passport holder.

Registering with the Central Register

In Lanzarote, the place to register is at the Delegación de Gobierno – Unidad de Extranjería  office in Arrecife.

What you need to take

You have always to attach the following documents:

Passport or other identity document (not expired)
Official form (EX-18), two copies, filled and signed by the UE national.
In addition, you will have to attach other documents, depending on your situation:

salaried workers – your contract of employment or other proof of your employment status.
self-employed workers – proof of registration in the register of economic activities (censo de actividades económicas) or other proof of your employment status.
not in employment in Spain? 

Proof of:
(i) health cover valid in Spain and
(ii) sufficient means to support yourself and your family.

Pensioners – provide proof of public health cover.

Students –
(i) proof of your registration in an educational establishment,
(ii) proof of public or private health cover and
(iii) formal declaration that you have sufficient means to support yourself during your stay.

Older residence certificates are larger (A4 size) but are still valid. You do not need to apply for a credit-card-sized certificate unless your circumstances change (for example your address) or unless you want to.

After you have been registered as a resident for five years, you can apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain. You will be issued with a similar credit card size Residence Certificate, but it will additionally state that you are a permanent resident (residente permanente).

You can find more information here

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

Número de Identificación de Extranjero

Our simple, quick guide to Número de Identificación de Extranjero or your NIE.  Simply scroll down to find out more…

NIE: a white certificate bearing a number. The letters stand for Número de Identificación de Extranjero, i.e. Foreigners Identification Number. 

The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. It is the counterpart to a DNI for Spanish citizens. Both EU citizens and non-EU citizens get issued a NIE. The NIE is not a fiscal residency identification; you can have a NIE and be fiscal resident in another country.  


Who needs an NIE in Spain?

1. Any foreigner who becomes resident for tax purposes in Spain needs an NIE number in Spain.
2. Any non-resident foreigner who buys property in Spain. If a couple buys a property in Spain together, and they register the property in both their names, then both of them must obtain an NIE number in Spain.
3. Anyone who wants to work in Spain, or start a business in Spain.

N.I.E. is an abbreviation, which translates as Identification Number for Foreigners, or Foreigners’ Identification Number if you prefer.  The number itself is made up of an initial letter followed by seven digits followed by a verification letter. The initial letter is an X before July 2008 and a Y afterwards. It is issued by the National Police of Spain. 

The NIE is your all-purpose identification and tax number in Spain. You need it for everything that involves a trámite or official process in Spain. For example, you will need an NIE number to buy a property, buy a car, get connected to the utilities and, most importantly as far as the Spanish state is concerned, pay your taxes.

An NIE can be applied for in three ways:

  • Present the application in Spain personally, in which case proof of being legally in Spain and documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.
  • An accredited representative in Spain with the correct legal powers, either general or specific, can make the application on behalf of the ´person making the application, and requires documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.
  • Applications made in a Spanish diplomatic mission or consulate located in the country in which the person making the application is domiciled, requiring the documents which justify the reasons for having the NIE.

I can help, either accompanying your meeting or as your representative.